Saturday, August 10, 2013

We ALL need Him

Children are children. The testing of the limits, the need for attention, the silliness,  children. 




This is true for students all across the globe! Today in our church service the pastor was emphasizing that we all have the same color blood- and, of course our sins are washed away with the blood of the lamb. Her message was about not worrying about which tribe you come from- we are all believers. 
I thought hard about the message. I thought about my grade 7 students that I am teaching English to. One of them is a class clown. He is always making jokes and being silly. Everyday he looks at me when my class time is over and says, "Please stay." How can I leave?




Another one is very shy, it is clear she wants to speak out, but fear tends to get the best of her most of the time. Another one is like a teachers pet. She tries so hard to say everything perfect and always wants to say the right answer. 
Then of course, the one I cannot quite figure out. A mystery. Different students with the same need for Jesus, and the same color of blood. 

When I go to slums I see children who are, well, children. They are silly and funny and love attention. The thing that eats at me the most is something I noticed at the slums. The children will intentionally hit each other (HARD!) A boy will come to a small girl and back hand her as hard as he can and then walk away triumphantly when she cries. 
Seeing this made me so angry. I couldn't reprimand him with my limited amount of Nepali, so I called a friend of mine and asked him to ask him why he did that. The boy looked afraid. He didn't want to be hit for his actions. We were not going to harm him; however, the Lord gave me insight from this situation. This is all they know. How can I expect him to know any different if he is constantly seeing hitting or being hit at home. My heart immediately broke for the little boy. We sat there silently for a moment, the little girl had her face in my stomach while she wailed- my shirt getting wet with her tears. The boy stood a small distance away looking on at the scene. My eyes teared up. 
I hate injustice. I hate that kids have to go through things that no one should ever have to go through. I also hate that I am so limited with the amount of help I can offer. This morning I cried out to the Lord and He reminded me that I am, in fact very limited. But HE is UNLIMITED and His love is unfailing, unconditional, and perfect. I felt like that little girl wailing on my stomach from the slums as I felt God's perfect love wrap around me. I need Him. The children need Him. We ALL need Him. 



I have been in Nepal for slightly over one week now. My Nepali language development is growing, but growing slowly. I try to practice speaking it, but I fear my Texas roots are my enemy when it comes to pronouncing the Nepali words. :) I must say, in this past week I have learned more than I ever have in my entire life. I am seeing and living an entirely new way of life and it is beautiful. 
The world is big. Not everything is always "black and white./ right and wrong" There is "differences" and the culture here is perfectly different from my own. I love embracing it. I get laughed at sometimes. For example, when I am eating rice with my right hand (Nepali style), I have trouble taking big bites. We laugh together, and with some rice on my shirt, I try again. 


I am so grateful the Lord has given me this opportunity to be here. I pray that He will allow me to stay for as long as possible. I also pray that I do not waste His time here and the I stay sensitive to His spirit always. 
Please continue praying for me as I REALLY need to learn the Nepali language and I am working on visa situations now too.


Thank you, and I pray blessings to you all!








1 comment:

  1. Praying for you Karina! What a beautiful post! You are an inspiration and I am so excited to see you living out God's calling on your life!

    ReplyDelete

Our Experience with Covid-19

As I write this blog, I am thinking about the song "10,000 reasons" by Matt Redman. A song about gratefulness and I can say with f...