Monday, August 5, 2013

Thus, it begins!

I am here! I am in Nepal. Praise God He showed so much provision to me upon my journey here. Thank you so much for all your prayers. Beginning with my flights to arrival. Yes, I said flights because I had three different flights including a change in airlines. 

My first flight was a gift from God. I flew from Switzerland to Dubai and was blessed to have a seat next to me empty! I was so comfortable! The young man who sat two seats from me was also a blessing. He was flying to Thailand to meet his girlfriend. We became acquainted quickly, and he stayed with me during my layover in Dubai. This was very nice because I was a little afraid of falling asleep and missing my flight to New Dehli as it was scheduled to leave at 4:30am! 
The next flight I slept, ate, and then slept again. The man next to me on this flight was sweet, but he spoke hardly any english. Upon arrival to India, I had such a strange experience. A man who worked for Air India came to me and said, "Are you Karina Barger, flying to Kathmandu?" "Um. Yes." "Ok, you must come with me now then." 
My heart beat so fast I could barely breath. Was this it? Could I have gone through all this trouble just to be told I cant fly through India?
He took me and another young girl who was clearly a foreigner like me to a small desk with a woman behind it. I silently prayed, "Lord if it be Your will- please let there be no trouble." Over and over again I prayed this as they told the other girl she could not continue without a visa. 
I didnt have a visa. My silent prayers continued. As the man haggled with the other young lady the woman looked at me. "Passport and visa." I silently handed her my passport with no visa. 
She looked at my name and laughed. "Karina? Like Karina Kapoor?"


Kareena or Karina Kapoor is a very famous Indian actress. And her name just saved me from so much trouble. I giggled with the woman and told her I know her. She gave me my boarding pass and wished me a great time in Nepal. Phew! 
God is so good!  My last flight I sat next to an American young man who was also doing volunteer teaching in Nepal. He gave me some healthy pointers and his email and then I was in Kathmandu.

I rode to my new home on the back of a motor bike. Carrying one of my backpacks and laughing in my head. I love this place! 
My host family is clearly a gift from God. They have a love for Christ and are so sweet to me. I have my own room on the upstairs of the home where I overlook the mountains. 
I don't deserve any of this, yet He continues to bless me. 

Now it is time to begin a challenging season of teaching English to beautiful Nepali children. 
Right now I am diligently searching the internet and picking my own brain for ideas to create lesson plans. This is unbelievably exciting to me! I feel nervous. I also feel a bit in over-my-head. 

As, today I met my future students, got a glimpse of my school, and had a brief conversation with the principal. She speaks hardly any English at all, as well as my students. I can foresee some clear difficulties. 

However, Mark 10:27 says: Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but not with God; all things are possible with God."

It is impossible for me. But nothing is impossible for our wonderful creator. Please pray for me as I begin this journey on Wednesday. Tomorrow I will buy more culturally appropriate clothes to be ready! 

In closing, I will say how grateful I am for every ones prayers and for all the support I have so lovingly received. 
I kindly ask you to continue praying for me, if you can.
Some requests:
To teach these children with love and compassion/ remain dependent on His grace.
For a strong stomach/ no illnesses
To be able to learn Nepali!


Ephesians 6:10
Be strong in the Lord and in his mighty power.
God is so good. Some days are harder than others but I know this is where I am suppose to be. The only thing there is to do is trust and be strong in the Lord. :)








No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Experience with Covid-19

As I write this blog, I am thinking about the song "10,000 reasons" by Matt Redman. A song about gratefulness and I can say with f...