Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How I came to know Jesus!


When I first started in college I was suffering from depression. As a college freshmen requirement at my university, I was seeing a “peer-mentor.” My peer mentor took notice of the hopelessness in my actions and attitudes. She recommended a counseling service that was free for college students.
Reluctantly, I decided to comply. I was desperate for a way out. Everything in my life seemed to be crashing down and I was tired of feeling so alone all the time.
My counselor, a woman who was a scientology follower began diagnosing me with “depression” and “PTSD.” I felt even more hopeless and so out of desperation I kept on seeing her. One day, I admitted to her that I had believed to have felt the presence of God as a child. She told me, “that is why you have problems. You are living with the false belief that there is a God.” At that moment, the tiny bit of hope that was there diminished. How could she say there was no God? With all the bad in this world, I really believed there HAD to be God to save us. If there was no God then I would commit suicide. Why live for nothing? Running back to my dorm, crying hard, I really thought it was the end.
But God had a different plan. Because you see, as I learned later, people were praying for me as I ran back to my apartment. I came in to find a friend and my roommate sitting in my living room. They saw me and immediately asked what was wrong. They began praying for me and I began to feel the presence of God again. I walked into my room, shut the door, fell on my knees and cried out to God. He met me there. (Jeremiah 29:13) After that, I prayed with some campus ministers to have Jesus come in to every area of my life. Eventually, I was even able to go through an awesome ministry called Freedom in Christ where all those chains from my youth were broken through Jesus’ name! Praise God!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Experience with Covid-19

As I write this blog, I am thinking about the song "10,000 reasons" by Matt Redman. A song about gratefulness and I can say with f...