Thursday, April 1, 2021

Faith and Hope in Literal Darkness

Writing a blog about how I really feel about this last week's events has not been easy. This is mostly due to the fact that I am not entirely sure how I feel about everything. There were times this week that I felt peace knowing that God is bigger than the pollution. Simon and I sat one evening and gave thanks to the Lord for getting us through an earthquake, a pandemic, and now toxic pollution. But I did not always feel that this last week. Sometimes, I felt anxious and scared or frustrated and angry on behalf of the Nepali people. 

But it feels good to get all of this out. It feels good to write down all the mixed emotions that got me through this last week. 

There is no use in denying that sometimes it is a struggle to live here in Nepal. This last week was one of those weeks. Last Friday was the first day of our "spring break." We had previously considered doing some outdoor hiking to give the girls some much needed "fresh air." But little did we know there would be a wildfire breakout in the hills surrounding our home and the entire Kathmandu valley would be bottled up in smog/ smoke/ pollution leaving it difficult to be outside and even breathe. 

The red represents wildfires. Nepal is circled.
                                               

The government of Nepal called it a health crisis and closed all the schools (most Nepali schools are about to end the school year right now and so they do not have a spring break) and thus, I had to keep my kids indoors next to an air filter to protect them from the hazardous thick smog that lingered right outside our doors. I did venture outside a couple times only to find a ghost town. Fear being the only company alongside the pollution. The local Nepali families had locked themselves indoors trusting that this would be over soon enough.


The pollution was bad enough that it was deemed toxic or hazardous.

I would like to pause and give thanks to God that for the first 2 days we had electricity all the time (this is not normal in Nepal.) It was on the third day that Nepal's electrical wires had had enough. From everyone staying indoors, the power could no longer handle it and the power would come and go until it went ahead and threw in the towel. For the last 26 hours, the power was completely gone. 

Now I must admit, it was at this moment that I began to feel restless. I was frustrated that Nepal doesn't have enough electricity while everyone is already scared from this pollution. I know in my innermost being that we, the KC family always have a way out. We could go back to America. But that is not the case for everyone around us. They have nowhere to go but here and nothing to do but keep the faith and hope alive in the midst of literal darkness. 


While all this was happening, Prasansa got a stomach bug. 

In hope and in faith we pray. Praying for rain and praying that the faith and hope remains as we all sit through a very trying time. 


Last night as Simon and I sat in our darkened room, the thunder began to roar. Simon and I looked at each other and smiled. God's timing is always perfect and beyond our understanding. Praise God! The rain came in the night and then the sun came up for the very first time in the morning.

The first time seeing the sun for a whole week. Isn't it beautiful?

Playing outside for the first time in a week. 


This week is finished but the pollution is still here. Kathmandu remains to be the most polluted city in the whole world so please do keep praying for this city and country.


Even after the rain, we are still living the world's most polluted city. But at least it is no longer deemed "toxic" or "hazardous." 



If you would like to buy an air filter for a Nepali family, please click here and indicate that your donation is for an air filter/ filter replacement. 

One air filter cost $200 each and the filter replacements are $70 each.


Even if buying an air filter is not in your budget, please please please continue to lift Nepal up in your prayers. Thank you!














No comments:

Post a Comment

Our Experience with Covid-19

As I write this blog, I am thinking about the song "10,000 reasons" by Matt Redman. A song about gratefulness and I can say with f...